Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summeritis and Sketches of Chicks



Hi folks!


Yeah, I've been horrible about posting this summer. Maybe I've been preoccupied since my wife and I have a baby on the way... not to mention our week's vacation down the shore, bathroom renovations, moving in new furniture, a hectic work schedule...


...or maybe these are all just excuses.


Anyway, time to move forward. I've got a backlog of topics to talk about, but for now here are a couple of sketches of women I did a while back.


This one reminds me of that young rising starlet, Amanda Seyfried (couldn't remember her name, thanks Google)


It's no secret that women are harder to draw than men, particularly when you are cartooning. It's harder to make them look pretty... with men, you can make them lumpy, ugly, angular, whatever and it's usually acceptable. Feminine characters require a bit more subtlty and restraint, but not too much- you don't want to hold back on the caricaturization, and end up with a drawing that is too weak or soft.


Hmmm.


Oh, and in case you were wondering, I didn't get accepted into that art show. Erica did, though! Guess that means I have to show my face at the gallery opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment